Monday 19 November 2018

Minor: Lost Boy - The Art Room - Render

Following the advice from Phil to make the art room more analogue I have tried to make the art room feel more nostalgic and soft and less CGI and jagged compared to my previous tests. I did some tests with alpha channels to make the line work on some of the boxes jut out from the colour by duplicating the coloured box and applying an alpha channel for just the lines, the weird shaped blobby circular parts were happy accidents that I really like, the line work that goes around some of the elements perfectly was done with the new AI toon shader in the new Maya update. For the next set of tests I am going to go to the art room and get some things that have lots of texture and scan them in and apply those to the elements in the art room along with painterly effects such as frontage and grattage.


6 comments:

  1. Yes, looking much more 'you' and less 'Maya' now. Like I said previously, I'm really keen for your tests with the toon shader etc to include camera movement to get a more representative test of how this is going to shake-down in terms of the final look. My experience of toon shaders in general is that the outlines shift and phase and can look glitchy and very 'Maya' when the camera starts to move; things might have improved a lot, but let's find out, because if it does look a bit shonky, you may need to move towards the other technique more completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, will give a whirl of some render tests with camera movement :)

      Delete
  2. I personally really like the style of the lines being separate from the colour! I think it might be worth adjusting the colour geometry as well so that it isnt a straight cube, so for example if you took on of the top vertices of the cube and moved it closer to the linework. I think something like that could make this even more visually appealing!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie! it is so good to hear from you bud! Hope all is well with you, thanks for the advice I think making the boxes less CGI perfect will help, I will give a whirl of that in the next tests :)

      Delete
    2. I have neglected my blogging but I will try to remedy that now! SO I will be watching :D

      Delete