Monday 24 September 2018

Lost Boy: Mrs Pratt's Art Room - Initial Tests in Maya

I have spent some time experimenting in Maya to try and translate the concept art from the art room into 3D. I started by getting random shapes in Maya and then laying out the UVs for all the objects and then unfolding them together, I then saved a UV snapshot and simply cropped out parts of the concept art and laid it over the top as a texture in photoshop. With some of the objects I messed around with the presets for the AIStandard in Arnold such as blood, gold and honey which gave some nice refractions to the objects.  I also wanted the sketchyness of the concept art to translate too so I made a simple alpha map in photoshop of a brush with lots of texture and attached that to a sphere, with the second image I was trying to make an alpha layer but it didn't go to plan however I actually like the way that it looks, it didn't show up in the render but does in the perspective view.

I am going to continue experiments with the art room to get the feel of the concept art by adding a depth of filed pass to show some atmospheric perspective, adding more textured brushes as alpha maps and give a whirl of using render layers.

Rendered Image 



Screenshot of failed alpha map


Texture in Photoshop


Brush Stroke Alpha Map in Photoshop

5 comments: