Wednesday 26 September 2018

Lost Boy: Rotoscoping - Initial Tests

After my meeting with Phil I think the best direction to go in with Lost Boy is essentially making the film twice as in to get the sketchiness that I am going for I will rotoscope over all the frames and for the parts where the exaggeration is dialled up I will 2D animate that part by rotoscoping over the 3D parts and compositing them in after effects by bringing down the opacity of the 3D elements. To get the 2D parts to mesh nicely with the 3D elements I will colour pick the texture of the characters once their textures are all laid out and use that to draw in the colour of the exaggerated parts, If needs be I can also use Maya to my advantage and use spheres put in place to help with motion capture for elements turning around.

These tests were done by using the generic male character and turning him around with a white background to represent the white space along with the Animators Toolbar by Patrick Deen which turns Photoshop into a nice little 2D animation package . As these are tests I kept everything very lose by adopting continues line that Vicky thought us in life drawing and didn't erase anything, this enabled me to just have fun with it and I really like when the black drawn in lines went over the boundary of the 3D model as it looks nice meshed against the white space background.

I am going to continue doing more exaggerating tests by morphing and bulging elements, drawing In the negative space around the character instead, animating the shadows, lighting tests and also start doing compositing tests in After Effects.
Generic Male turnaround with Rotoscope


Rotoscope Line Work only





No comments:

Post a Comment