Wednesday 24 June 2020

The Kick About #4 - Orpheus (1950)

Inspired by the film Orpheus (1950) I knew exactly what I was going to create when I seen the new prompt for this weeks kick about, It was the night before my birthday and I was sitting out in the tiny garden in my previous London apartment, I was drinking red wine and smoking a cigarette and frankly was feeling rather shit, not sure if it was the birthday blues or if was a amalgamation of other things but my neighbours behind my house were having a party;  they recently installed some outside lighting which surrounded their roomy garden in a blazing warm hue that lit up the brick of their apartment like an beacon in the night.

In my garden there is a full length mirror that is perched against a rickety garden shed that is full of art supplies and spiders. The light from the neighbours garden was reflecting brilliantly against the mirror - it looked otherworldly placed against the black shed and darkness of my garden, like the light didn’t belong in the darkness. I thought to myself I wish that that was a fucking portal so I could step through, leave this place and see some happy faces. The neighbours next door continued to dance and sing into the night.

I really enjoy these kick About's over at Red's Kingdom! it is completely opening my eyes to seeing the potential in the mundane. Hopefully sooner rather than later I can save up a few bob to get a good camera so I can take things a step further,  a good camera will help inspire me to not only see but also capture composition, angles, light and shadow. Ideally I wanted to take the mirror plopped against my rickety garden shed and bring it around London with me, placing it and tilting it in the right direction to capture the light against the dark.. someday I'll get that camera.






No comments:

Post a Comment