Tuesday 9 June 2020

Dance of The Happy Shades - A Micro Short




For the Metropolis kick About Prompt over at Red's Kingdom I was drawing and animating the creative responses using a particular set of brushes that is always my go to,  I was in my bathroom and opened up my medicine cabinet and just as I did the light from outside was shining into the window and through a crack of the medicine cabinet door, it was creating this brilliant concentrated brush stroke of dancing illuminating light that mimics one of the brushes I love to use in Photoshop. I took out my phone and filmed myself opening and closing the medicine cabinet door over and over again... as I knew this would not last long because of how pinprick precise the light was in that moment.

I went back to animating and drawing the Metropolis prompt and assumed I could incorporate the light somehow but nothing came of it, so I decided to keep it in the vault. Flash forward to now and not having any idea what to incorporate into the newest prompt over at Red's Kingdom “Dance of the Happy Shades” I realised that I could work with the video’s to produce something... So I started to play.  A lot of what is going on fell into place through experimenting by mixing all the videos together, playing with blend modes, light, shadow and shapes. The stunning song is Grey Drops by Sergey Cheremisinov, I based the imagery around the song as when listening to Sergey’s unique pieces I imagine something odd and intriguing coming to life, something with a lot of texture. That fuzzy crackle and that wooden creak that spontaneously hits - I envisioned things moving in the shadows that shouldn’t move.

The best thing about creating like this is something magical happens by itself, As I was swinging the medicine cabinet door I noticed that it looked like the light was giving way to these phantom spectres, which were projecting part of themselves away and then consuming themselves again with every swing of the door, Everything started to intensify and became apparent when I edited the film together and then I ended up with story thanks to a peculiar bit of light in my medicine cabinet. 













No comments:

Post a Comment