Saturday 12 January 2019

Minor - Reflective Statement

I have throughly enjoyed the process of the minor project.
I particularly enjoyed doing the previz for Lost Boy, I love manoeuvring and manipulating cameras and lighting to try and get inside the characters shoes and to feel what they feel. I think my skills in storytelling have improved a lot and the previz really helped push this along.

It has been hard to pin things down and not let myself fly off the handle in terms of getting a film made as I cut down a lot of my ideas of shots and elements that I wanted to happen in the film - this is one thing to my own character that has been an issue, through doing the previz and trying to be as ecomic as possible and actually foretelling my capabilities of what I can achieve in the short few months for the Major hand in I think I have a good jumping off point with telling the story of Lost Boy.

I would have loved to have had at least one character rigged and skinned and to see them non-static would have been an achievement, I need to speed things up a lot more in terms of rigging and skinning as I do feel they are the most important part of bringing the character to life - I am apprehensive because of this as one slip could mess things up but I just need to have more confidence in myself and not move at such a snails pace as I really just want to start animating and directing again.

I like the look of the characters I think I have achieved the original sketchy art style of my original concept art and although I did have issues with my art of I thoroughly enjoyed designing it, I really felt like I could let myself go with it and it felt really lose and natural and I am happy with how it looks although I am going back to tweak it as there are errors and certain elements have been mistakenly chopped up.

I loved how communicative minor has felt from having meetings with Phil or Alan or nabbing them whenever I can to show them what they think of something and getting feedback and inspiration from chats about creating things has felt inspiring.

Minor has all in all just made me feel like I completely get my film now - I get the way that I want it the look, what the characters are feeling and what I want the viewers to feel and when I want them to laugh out loud or feel a smidge of sadness. I think I am on a good path going full steam ahead into major, I just need to crank things up a notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment